Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rolled Omelette

Rolled Omelette

Ingredients 
8 eggs
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp Japanese soy sauce (I used oyster sauce)
6 tbsp sake or dry white wine
Vegetable oil
Wasabi and pickled ginger, to garnish

1. Put the eggs in a large bowl and stir them together, using a pair of chopsticks in a cutting action
2. Mix the sugar, with the soy sauce and sake in a small bowl. Lightly stir this mixture into the egg. Pour half the mixture into another bowl. 
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then wipe off excess. Pour a quarter of the mixture from one bowl into the pan, tilting the pan to coat it thinly. When the edge has set but the middle is moist roll up omelette towards you.
4. Mositen some kitchen paper with oil and grease the empty side of the pan. Pour one third of the remaining egg into the pan. Lift the rolled egg up with yoru chopsticks (I used a thick spatula) and let raw egg run under it. When the edge has set roll up the opposite directions, tilting the pan away from you. 
5. Slide the roll towards you, grease the pan and pour in half of the remaining mixture, letting egg run under. When set interest chopsticks in the side of the rolled omelette, then flip over towards the opposite side. Cook the remainderin the same way. Slide the roll so that its join is underneath. Cook for 10 seconds. 
6. Slide the roll out on the bamboo mat and roll up tightly, then press neatly into rectangular shape. Leave to cool. Cook the second batch in the same way. Slice the cold (we ate this warm) omelettes into 1-2 inch pieces. Serve with soy sauce. 


I modified this recipe due to the fact that we were out of soy sauce. I got everything mixed up and ready to go.. went to the fridge to get out the soy sauce and we did not have any. I was thinking about Worcestershire sauce but then thought about Oyster sauce. I am thinking that it was "okay" with oyster sauce but would love to try this recipe again with the intended ingredients. Kurt rated this a 6 stars as is but is willing to attempt this again with the soy sauce. Kurt added Feta cheese to the top of his and I add no cheese.  I cooked this in a Wok because that is what my recipe book shows. However, this made it very hard to roll over and the middle cooked far faster than the outsides. I think I will try this next time on my flat stove top griddle. I recommend covering your bamboo mat with saran wrap first. It keeps the mat very clean (they can be bugger to wash) and then you can wrap up roll with it to place in the fridge. My eggs fell apart rather easily and did not stay in a pretty roll like the picture in my cook book shows. All goes down the hatch the same way. Kurt and I ate ours warm and the recipe calls for it to be cold. I think I would be okay with cold eggs any other time of day besides breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment